The week of April 23, 2017
On the first Sunday after Easter, Reverend Paige began a series of messages on the God We Can Know. Based on the book with that title by Rob Fuquay, the series will explore the nature of God and our perceptions of it. The scripture for this first sermon in the series was God seeking out Moses. God presented himself/itself as a burning bush that was not consumed by the blaze. Speaking to Moses by name, which Reverend Paige noted was important at that time as a name was thought to personify the individual, God stated he was sending Moses to Egypt to free his people, the Israelites. Moses demurrred, asking why he was being sent. And that he was not up to the task. After God assured Moses he would be with him, Moses asked what should he say to the Israelites if they asked the name of God who sent him. God replied, “I am who I am.” Thus Moses was to say, “I am sent me.”
The lesson drawn from this narrative is that God “dips his toe into human reality” from time to time and communicates to some. God can be with us as we do those tasks considered holy. Future messages will continue to explore the nature of God and human understanding of that nature.
DATES TO REMEMBER:
- Sunday, 30 April 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM Community Event. Kiwanis of Lakewood is holding their Annual Pancake and French Toast Breakfast at Lakewood United Methodist Church. All are invited to the fund raising event. $8.00 for those over 12 and $5.00 6-12.
- Thursday, 4 May 7:15 PM Trustees Meeting. The Trustees are responsible for the
physical property of the Church and its maintenance.
- Friday and Saturday, 5 and 6 May 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM SOS Store $5 Bag Sale. Come and outfit your family with gently used clothes at $5 a bag. Bags are supplied at the store. Friends and families of SOS can shop early on Thursday evening, 4 May, 6:00 to 8:00 PM. See SOS Store on Facebook and be a friend, www.facebook.com/SOSTHRIFTSTOREATCOVEUMC
- Saturday, 6 May 8:00 AM Men’s Breakfast. Come and join the Men of Cove and Friends as they engage in discussion and fellowship. All are welcomed to the table!
- Thursday, 11 May 7:15 PM Care and Nurture Committee Meeting. The Care and Nurture Committee
Does family and congregation programming.
- Saturday, 13 May 5:30 PM Community Meal. Dinner for any member of the Community – Come and Eat
in Cove Fellowship Hall.
- Thursday, 18 May 7:15 PM Admin Board and Finance Committee Meeting. A general church council that
Oversees Policies and finances.